Faculty & Staff Directory
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow
PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University, Korea, 2016
M.E. in Computer Engineering, Pusan National University, Korea, 2007
B.E. in Computer Science and Engineering, Pusan National University, Korea, 2005
Dr. Kim is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Geography and Geoinformation Science. He has been working on an urban simulation framework.
As an information scientist, his research has been identified in the information system. As data is the driving force of information system, challenges that occur during a data lifecycle are the actuator of his research. It has three dimension as follows:
- Data lifecycle: acquisition, management, sharing, and analysis
- Data types: social network data and spatial data including mobile, georeferenced context, 3D, and spatial network data
- Spatial scales: urban and indoor scales
Specifically, his research topics include data modeling, data management, data mining, location privacy, agent-based modeling, 3D Geoinformation, indoor LBS, geo-referenced media, and virtual reality.
Dr. Kim teaches Scientific Data Mining for Geoinformatics. The main focus of this course is a survey on the classical tasks of data-mining: Clustering, Outlier-Detection, Classification, Association-Rule-Mining, and Regression. He has been teaching computer science courses.
- J.-S. Kim, and K.-J. Li, Simplification of Geometric Objects in an Indoor Space. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, January 2019, Volume 147, pp. 146-162.
- X. Teng, J. Yang, J.-S. Kim, G. Trajcevski, M. A. Nascimento, and A. Zufle, Fine-Grained Diversification of Proximity Constrained Queries on Road Networks, In Proceedings of International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases (SSTD 2019), August 2019, pp. 51-60.
- H. Kavak, J.-S. Kim, A. Crooks, D. Pfoser, C. Wenk, and A. Zulle, Location-Based Social Simulation, In Proceedings of International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases (SSTD 2019), August 2019, pp. 218-221.
- J.-S. Kim, H. Kavak, U. Manzoor, and A. Sufle. Advancing Simulation Experimentation Capabilities with Runtime Interventions, In Proceedings of 2019 Spring Simulation Conference, April 2019, 11 pages.
- J.-S. Kim, H. KAvak, and A. Crooks. Procedural city generation beyond game development, SIGSPATIAL. Special, November 2018, Volume 10, Issue 2, pp 34-41.
- Best Vision Paper Runner-up Award, International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases (SSTD), Aug. 2019
- The 1st-Place Winner ($1,000), Competition: Most impending problems in Seoul and proposed solutions, Seoul Business Agency, Aug. 2019
- Best Paper Award, Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS-4G) Conference, Aug. 2017