Faculty & Staff Directory
- Associate Professor
- Plant Pathology, Environmental Biology, Education
- PhD, Environmental Science and Policy, George Mason University, 2001
- MS, Environmental Biology, George Mason University, 1988
- BA, Biology and Environmental Science, 1980
Dr. Largen attended the University of Virginia as an undergraduate, completing a double major in Biology and Environmental Science. She began her graduate studies completing a semester in the plant pathology master’s program at the University of Georgia prior to completing an M.S. in Environmental Biology at George Mason University. Her Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Policy was obtained at George Mason University and was based on research dealing with the cumulative impacts of the insecticide diflubenzuron on deciduous forest litter arthropods and leaf litter decomposition rates.
Dr. Largen was twice employed as a temporary Biological Aide with the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Regional Office of Forest Insect and Disease Control, participating in research on white pine blister rust, sand pine root decline, and air pollution damage to white pines on federal lands in the southeastern U.S. She served in the U.S. Peace Corps in Niger, West Africa, as an Agricultural Extension Agent participating in research on crop insect and disease problems. For 18 years, Dr. Largen served as the Gypsy Moth & Mosquito Control Branch Chief and Division Chief for Prince William County government in Virginia, where she was responsible for developing and implementing public education and notification projects, insect population surveys, aerial assessment of tree defoliation, implementation and assessment of biological controls, ground and aerial application of insecticides, and environmental monitoring of insecticides.
Dr. Largen currently serves as the course coordinator and lecture instructor for the EVPP 108/109110/111/112/113 introductory environmental science lecture and lab courses for George Mason University’s Department of Environmental Science and Policy .
Mason Core natural science courses: EVPP 108, EVPP 109, EVPP 110, EVPP 111, EVPP 112, EVPP 113
- Largen, K. B. (2018). Environmental Science: Lab Manual – Volume 1: The Science, 3rd ed. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa.
- Largen, K. B. (2018). Environmental Science: Lab Manual – Volume 2: The Issues, 3rd ed. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa.
- Romulo, C. L., A. Rauofi, K. Largen, J.R. Schwebach. (2018). Tips, Tricks &Techniques: Using Peer Review to Improve Lab Report Assignments. The American Biology Teacher, Vol. 80, No. 4, pages 301-304.
- Largen, K.D.B. (2000). The Effects of Aerially Applied Diflubenzuron on Decomposition Rate and Litter Arthropod Community in Prince William County, Virginia. Dissertation, George Mason University.
- Rockwood, L.L., K.D.B. Largen, V. Chandhoke, G.D. Foster. (1996). The Effects of Aerially Applied Diflubenzuron on Decomposition Rate and Litter Arthropod Community in Prince William County, Virginia. Final Report for USDA Forest Service Grant.