Faculty & Staff Directory
- Assistant Professor
PhD, University of Tennessee at Knoxville (2013)
I received my PhD from University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN in 2013. During PhD, I spent three years as a graduate research assistant at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I was a postdoctoral research associate in Los Alamos National Laboratory from 2013 – 2015. From 2015 – 2018 I was a Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow at Argonne National Laboratory. I joined GMU in 2018, where I am currently an Assistant Professor.
My research focuses on discovering and understanding novel emergent phenomena in quantum materials via designing and synthesizing materials and measuring their magnetic and transport properties. The systems of interest include topological and magnetic materials.
- Nirmal. J. Ghimire, A. S. Botana, J. S. Jiang, Junjie Zhang, Y.-S. Chen & J. F. Mitchell. Large anomalous Hall effect in the chiral-lattice antiferromagnet CoNb3S6. Nature Communications 9, 3280 (2018). Highlighted by the editor, Featured in Argonne National Laboratory
- Nirmal J. Ghimire, Mojammel A. Khan, A. S. Botana, J. S. Jiang, and J. F. Mitchell. Anisotropic angular magnetoresistance and Fermi surface topology of the candidate novel topological metal Pd3Pb. Physical Review Materials 2, 081201(2018)(R). (Highlighted by the editor)
- Junfeng He, Chaofan Zhang, Nirmal J Ghimire, Tian Liang, Chunjing Jia, Juan Jiang, Shujie Tang, Sudi Chen, Yu He, S-K Mo, CC Hwang, M Hashimoto, DH Lu, B Moritz, TP Devereaux, YL Chen, JF Mitchell, Z-X Shen. Distinct Electronic Structure for the Extreme Magnetoresistance in YSb. Physical Review Letters 117, 267201 (2016).
- N. J. Ghimire, Yongkang Luo, D. J. Williams, E. D. Bauer and F. Ronning. Magnetotransportof single crystalline NbAs. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 27, 152201 (2015).
- Aaron M. Jones, Hongyi Yu, Nirmal Ghimire, Sanfeng Wu, Grant Aivazian, Jason S. Ross, Bo Zhao, Jiaqiang Yan, David G. Mandrus, Di Xiao, Wang Yao & Xiaodong Xu. Optical generation of excitonic valley coherence in monolayer WSe2. Nature Nanotechnology 8, 634 (2013).
- Director’s Postdoctoral Fellowship, Argonne National Laboratory 10/2015
- Seaborg Fellowship, Seaborg Institute, Los Alamos National Laboratory 03/2015
- Chancellor’s Citation for Extraordinary Professional Promise, The University of Tennessee, 04/2013
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Physics and Astronomy, The University of Tennessee, 04/2009