Faculty & Staff Directory
- Assistant Professor
PhD, University of Tennessee at Knoxville (2013)
I received my PhD from University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN in 2013. During PhD, I spent three years as a graduate research assistant at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I was a postdoctoral research associate in Los Alamos National Laboratory from 2013 – 2015. From 2015 – 2018 I was a Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow at Argonne National Laboratory. I joined GMU in 2018, where I am currently an Assistant Professor.
My research focuses on discovering and understanding novel emergent phenomena in quantum materials via designing and synthesizing materials and measuring their magnetic and transport properties. The systems of interest include topological and magnetic materials.
- Peter Siegfried, Hari Bhandari, David C. Jones, Madhav Ghimire, Rebecca Dally, L Poudel, M Bleuel, Jeffrey Lynn, Igor Mazin, Nirmal Ghimire. Magnetization-driven Lifshitz phase transition and charge-spin coupling in the kagome metal YMn6Sn6. Communications Physics, 5 58 (2022).
- Nirmal J. Ghimire, Rebecca L. Dally, L. Poudel, D. C. Jones, D. Michel, N. Thapa Magar, M. Bleuel, Michael A. McGuire, J. S. Jiang, J. F. Mitchell, Jeffrey W. Lynn, I. I. Mazin. Competing magnetic phases and fluctuation-driven scalar spin chirality in the kagome metal YMn6Sn6. Science Advances 6, eabe2680 (2020). Highlights.
- Nirmal. J. Ghimire, A. S. Botana, J. S. Jiang, Junjie Zhang, Y.-S. Chen & J. F. Mitchell. Large anomalous Hall effect in the chiral-lattice antiferromagnet CoNb3S6. Nature Communications 9, 3280 (2018). Highlights.
- Junfeng He, Chaofan Zhang, Nirmal J Ghimire, Tian Liang, Chunjing Jia, Juan Jiang, Shujie Tang, Sudi Chen, Yu He, S-K Mo, CC Hwang, M Hashimoto, DH Lu, B Moritz, TP Devereaux, YL Chen, JF Mitchell, Z-X Shen. Distinct Electronic Structure for the Extreme Magnetoresistance in YSb. Physical Review Letters 117, 267201 (2016).
- Aaron M. Jones, Hongyi Yu, Nirmal Ghimire, Sanfeng Wu, Grant Aivazian, Jason S. Ross, Bo Zhao, Jiaqiang Yan, David G. Mandrus, Di Xiao, Wang Yao & Xiaodong Xu. Optical generation of excitonic valley coherence in monolayer WSe2. Nature Nanotechnology 8, 634 (2013).
A complete list of publications is available here.
- 2021: National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- 2020: Dean's Award for Early Career Excellence, College of Science, George Mason University
- 2015: Director’s Postdoctoral Fellowship, Argonne National Laboratory
- 2015: Seaborg Fellowship, Seaborg Institute, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 2013: Chancellor’s Citation for Extraordinary Professional Promise, The University of Tennessee
- 2009: Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Physics and Astronomy, The University of Tennessee