Faculty & Staff Directory
- Assistant Professor
- Urban Ecology, Biodiversity and Species Distribution, Wildlife Behavior
PhD, Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology, Colorado State University, 2016
MS, Biology, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi, 2008
BS, Biology, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christ, 2005
Our lab uses theories and principles in ecology and conservation science to sustain and restore biodiversity in urban ecosystems. We work to understand how urban environments – both the physical and social – shape species distributions, populations, communities, and behaviors. Through our research, we hope to better understand fundamental ecological processes in urban ecosystems and apply this knowledge to future urban planning. Our goal is to provide evidence-based solutions that simultaneously conserve biological diversity and improve the lives of urban residents.
I teach conservation biology, principles of wildlife ecology, urban ecology, and will eventually teach more quantitative courses in environmental science
- Gallo, T.*, M. Fidino*, E.W. Lehrer, S. Magle. 2019. Urbanization alters predator-avoidance behaviours. Journal of Animal Ecology. 88:793-803. PDF *Both authors contributed equally
- Magle, S.B., M. Fidino, E.W. Lehrer, T. Gallo, M.P. Mulligan, M.J. Ríos, A.A. Ahlers, J. Angstmann, A. Belaire, B. Dugelby, A. Gramza, L. Hartley, B. MacDougall, T. Ryan, C. Salsbury, H. Sander, C. Schell, K. Simon, D. Drake. 2019. Advancing urban wildlife research through a multi-city collaboration. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 17:232-239.
- Gallo, T. and M. Fidino. 2018. Insight: Making wildlife welcome in urban areas. eLife 7:e41348.
- Gallo, T., E.W. Lehrer, M. Fidino, R.J. Kilgour, P.J. Wolff, S. Magle. 2018. Need for multiscale planning for conservation of urban bats. Conservation Biology. 32:638-647.
- Gallo, T., M. Fidino, E.W. Lehrer, S. Magle. 2017. Mammal diversity and metacommunity dynamics in urban green spaces: implications for urban wildlife conservation. Ecological Applications. 27:2330–2341.