Why Major in Math?
Why should you major in Math? Well, for starters...
A math major prepares you for many interesting, important, satisfying, well-paid jobs. Mason Mathematics professor Evelyn Sander (and Editor in Chief, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems), offers a few examples:
- Why Do Math has a number of high level specific examples showing that math solves important and interesting problems. Dr. Math’s Why Study Math gives a lower level answer to this question.
- When Will I Use Math shows how important math is in every type of training.
- Exploring a Career With Numbers describes some careers available to math and related majors.
- Forbes Magazine rated mathematician as the Best Job of 2014, with tenured university professor, statistician, and actuary as the next three best.
- The Wall Street Journal’s 2009 Career Journal rated mathematician, actuary, and statistician as the three best jobs.
- Why Major in Math gives detailed statistics to show that math majors do well on entrance exams, have high salaries, and have high job satisfaction.
- The Mathematical Association of America’s Mathematics Careers gives further information about careers, as well as a link to books on math careers. Career Profiles gives specific examples.
- The SIAM Careers in Math gives an overview of different careers available with a math major.