Faculty & Staff Directory
PhD, Physics, University of Maryland College Park (1996)
MS, Physics, University of Maryland College Park (1995)
BA, University of Chicago (1990)
Professor Barreto works at the convergence of physics, mathematics, and biology. Originally trained in nonlinear dynamics and chaos at the University of Maryland College Park, he later trained in experimental and theoretical neuroscience at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA. Current interests include the study of synchronization in populations of coupled oscillators, the individual and collective dynamics of neurons in the brain, and the fundamental dynamical mechanisms that underlie normal cognitive processing and pathological conditions such as epilepsy.
- Itinerant Complexity in Networks of Intrinsically Bursting Neurons,
Siva Venkadesh, Ernest Barreto, and Giorgio Ascoli,
Chaos 30, 061106 (2020).
- Synaptic Diversity Suppresses Complex Collective Behavior in Networks of Theta Neurons,
Lucas Lin, Ernest Barreto, and Paul So,
Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience 14:44 (2020).
- Synchronization-Induced Spike Termination in Networks of Bistable Neurons,
Muhammet Uzuntarla, Joaquin J. Torres, Ali Çalım, and Ernest Barreto
Neural Networks 110, 131-140 (2019).
- Inverse Stochastic Resonance in Networks of Spiking Neurons,
Muhammet Uzuntarla, Ernest Barreto, and Joaquin J. Torres,
PLoS Computational Biology 13(7): e1005646 (2017).
- Dynamical Structure Underlying Inverse Stochastic Resonance and its Implications,
Muhammet Uzuntarla, John R. Cressman, Mahmut Ozer, and Ernest Barreto
Physical Review E 88, 042712 (2013).
- Complete Classification of the Macroscopic Behavior of a Heterogeneous Network of Theta Neurons,
Tanushree B. Luke, Ernest Barreto, and Paul So
Neural Computation 25, 3207-3234 (2013).
- Ion Concentration Dynamics as a Mechanism for Neuronal Bursting,
Ernest Barreto and John R. Cressman
Journal of Biological Physics 37, 361-373 (2011).
- Exact Results for the Kuramoto Model with a Bimodal Frequency Distribution,
Erik A. Martens, Ernest Barreto, Steven H. Strogatz, Edward Ott, Paul So, and Thomas M. Antonsen
Physical Review E 79, 026204 (2009).
- Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Science, George Mason University, 2013.