Faculty & Staff Directory
- Assistant Professor
PhD, Biopsychology, George Mason University (2010)
Dr. Brielmaier received her Ph.D. in Biopsychology (now Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience) from George Mason University in 2010. She returned to the Psychology Department as a Term Assistant Professor in 2012 after completing a postdoctoral fellowship at the National Institute of Mental Health. Dr. Brielmaier teaches courses in biopsychology as well as several undergraduate Neuroscience courses.
Student motivation, engagement, and perception of learning in different course formats; effectiveness of case study teaching and other active learning methods
- Physiological Psychology — PSYC 372
- Brain and Behavior – PSYC 376
- Principles of Learning – PSYC 304
- Molecular, Developmental and Systems Neuroscience – NEUR 335
- Kuo, Y., Luan, J., & Brielmaier, J. (2016). Learner control in online environments: Understanding learner behaviors via learning analytics. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, April 2016.
- Brielmaier, J. & Kuo, Y. (2015). Effect of instructional design on students’ motivation to learn in an online psychology course. GMU Innovations in Teaching and Learning Conference, September 2016.
- Kuo, Y., Luan, J., & Brielmaier, J. Investigating students’ use of lecture videos via data mining and surveys: A case study for understanding learning behaviors in online courses. International Conference on Web-Based Learning, November 2015.
- Brielmaier, J. & Kuo, Y. Effect of instructional design on students’ motivation to learn in online courses. GMU Innovations in Teaching and Learning Conference, September 2015.
- Brielmaier, J. & Kuo, Y. Instructional Design Cycle Applied to an Online Psychology Course. GMU Innovations in Teaching and Learning Conference, September 2014.
- Brielmaier J. The Woman Born Without a Cerebellum: A Real-Life Case Adapted for Use in an Undergraduate Developmental and Systems Neuroscience Course. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education. 2016;15(1):C1.
- Brielmaier J, Senerth JM, Silverman JL, Matteson PG, Millonig JH, DiCicco-Bloom E, Crawley JN. Chronic desipramine treatment rescues depression-related, social and cognitive deficits in Engrailed-2 knockout mice. Genes Brain Behav. 2014 Mar;13(3):286-298.
- Brielmaier J, Matteson PG, Silverman JL, Senerth JM, Kelly S, Genestine M, Millonig JH, DiCicco-Bloom E, Crawley JN. Autism-relevant social abnormalities and cognitive deficits in engrailed-2 knockout mice. PLoS One. 2012; 7(7):e40914.
- Brielmaier J, McDonald CG, Smith RF. Effects of acute stress on acquisition of nicotine conditioned place preference in adolescent rats: a role for corticotropin-releasing factor 1 receptors. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012 Jan; 219(1):73-82.
- Prager EM, Brielmaier J, Bergstrom HC, McGuire J, Johnson LR. Localization of mineralocorticoid receptors at mammalian synapses. PLoS One. 2010 Dec 15; 5(12):e14344.
2016 George Mason University Excellence in Teaching Award