Faculty & Staff Directory
- Associate Professor in Mathematics
- Founding Director, Mason Experimental Geometry Lab
PhD, Mathematics, University of Maryland, 2006
Sean Lawton serves as an Associate Professor in mathematics at George Mason University where he is founder and director of the Mason Experimental Geometry Lab — an experimental research lab in mathematics.
Sean and his team of undergraduate and graduate students not only conduct experimental research and visualization projects, but are also involved in hands-on outreach activities about mathematics to K-12 schools in the George Mason University area.
The study of spaces of Lie group-valued representations of finitely generated groups. In particular, how non-commutative algebraic structures inform the topology of these moduli spaces, and how the persistent topological properties of these moduli spaces (quantified over Lie groups) give properties of finitely presented groups. Experimental and visual pure mathematics in general.
Vertically integrated research, education and workforce training through geometry labs. Community building, outreach, and engagement.
Courses Taught: Geometry, Topology, and Algebra courses at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Homotopy groups of character varieties of free groups (with Carlos Florentino, Daniel Ramras), Ann.Sc. Norm. Super. Pisa Cl. Sci. (5) 17 (2017), no. 1, 143185
- The topology of moduli spaces of free group representations (with Carlos Florentino), Mathematische Annalen, 345, No. 2, 453-489
- Poisson Geometry of SL(3, C)-Character Varieties Relative to a Surface with Boundary, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, 361, No. 5, 2397-2429
- Generators, relations and symmetries in pairs of 3 × 3 unimodular matrices , Journal of Algebra Volume 313, Issue 2, Pages 782-801
- Simons Collaboration Grant, 2018-2023
- Simon’s Collaboration Grant, 2012-2017
- NSF-DMS Research Grant, 2013-2016