Federal Tax Economist Position Center for Federal Tax Policy
Tax Foundation’s Federal Team is looking for an economist to research and write about tax policy and its impacts on the federal budget and the economy. The primary focus will be the development and use of our Taxes and Growth model (TAG), a general equilibrium model used to simulate the effects of tax policies on the economy and on government revenues and budgets.
- Work with a team of economists and policy analysts to simulate the effects of tax policy changes using TAG, including conventional revenue estimation and macroeconomic modeling
- Research and develop new methods to build out TAG capabilities
- Research and write about tax policy and the economy, both in short form and longer form studies
- Communicate research findings to a variety of audiences, including academics, journalists, and policymakers
Qualifications and Skills
- PhD or equivalent training in economics with a focus on public finance, international economics, macroeconomics, or related area
- Strong analytical and modeling skills, e.g., general equilibrium modeling
- Good communication and writing skills
- Ability to work well within a team and on tight deadlines
- Experience researching and writing about public policy
- Experience working with and analyzing large datasets, e.g., from BEA and IRS
- Experience building large-scale models
- Experience with tax revenue estimation
- Programming skills, e.g., Python
Why Work at Tax Foundation?
At the Tax Foundation you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on first 5%, and we cover 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays.
Submit cover letter and résumé at this link. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V