Faculty & Staff Directory
- Assistant Professor
After receiving his Ph.D. from Virginia Commonwealth University in Chemical Physics in 2009, he held postdoctoral appointments at the University of Jyväskylä (Finland), Argonne National Laboratory, and Kansas State University. He has held faculty appointments at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and Howard University (Washington, D.C.). Dr. Clayborne’s research focuses on understanding the properties of molecules and nanoscale inorganic-organic hybrid nanoparticles. The goal of his research is to accelerate the discovery of materials using computational approaches. He received funding for his research program nationally and internationally from the National Science Foundation, the Academy of Finland (Postdoctoral Fellowship) and Natural National Science Foundation of China (Young Foreign Investigator Fellowship).
Prof. Clayborne is an advocate for professional mentorship and inclusive science education. He has mentored students and peers on a global scale in industry, government, and education. Current endeavors include developing a week-long summer science education experience for students with autism and their educators; strengthening science and engineering education in rural communities; and continuing research using nanoparticles and molecules in technological devices.
- F. Fetzer, C. Schrenk, N. Pollard, A. Adeagbo, A. Z. Clayborne, A. Schnepf “Synthesis and characterisation of a superatomic Gold Gallium Cluster [(PPh3)8Au9GaCl2]2+: Introducing a new reductant for gold chemistry” submitted 2020
- A. Adeagbo, T. Wei, A.Z. Clayborne “Computational comparative analysis of small atomically precise copper clusters” Journal of Physical Chemistry A 124, 6504-6510 (2020) DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.0c03992
- S. Kenzler, F. Fetzer, C. Schrenk, N. Pollard, A.R. Frojd, A. Z. Clayborne, A. Schnepf “Simple synthesis and characterization of three multi-shell metalloid gold clusters” Agnewandte Chemie 58, 5902 (2019)
- M. Samieegohar, F. Sha, A. Z. Clayborne, T. Wei “ReaxFF MD simulations of peptide-grafted gold nanoparticles”, Langmuir 35, 5029-5036 (2019)
- C. Du, X. Liu, G Ye, X. Gao, Z. Zhuang, P. Li, D. Xiang, X. Li, A.Z. Clayborne, X. Zhou, W. Chen “Balancing the micro-mesopores matters for activity maximization of N-doped carbonaceous electrocatalysts in the oxygen reduction reaction” ChemSusChem 12, 1017 (2019)