Faculty & Staff Directory
- Associate Professor
- PEREC Director K12 Education and Outreach
- PhD, Environmental Science and Policy, George Mason University, (2005)
- MS, Zoology, University of Maryland, (1989)
- BS, Wildlife Biology, Kansas State University (1984)
Research interests include translating PEREC research into experiential learning adventures, field programs and exhibits; management of formal and informal science programs targeted towards K12, general public, university learners and public officials.
Currently working with:
- Fairfax County Public Schools Office of Science
- Prince William County Public Schools Office of Science
- Prince William County Division of Solid Waste
Dr. Smith teaches EVPP 302, Biomes and Human Dimension, a required course for ESP majors, focused on applied Environmental Science and Policy content and career preparation. She has more than 20 years of STEM teaching experience, both face-to-face and for distance education courses.
- As teaching faculty, Dr. Smith’s products are programs. Since 2009, she and her staff have delivered full day outdoor watershed education programs to well over 100,000 middle school students.
- She delivers K12 teacher training programs focused on environmental science and related Chesapeake Bay content
- Smith, C. (2016) Prince William County Division of Solid Waste EcoPark Public Outreach Plan. 15pages. June.
- Wildlife Champion 2019 Award from Prince William Conservation Alliance, for leadership in creating outdoor wildlife and watershed education programs and for visual storytelling which inspires people to take a close look at nature.
- Prince William County VA 2018 Green Community award, for directorship of environmental stewardship activities
- Seeds of Change 2018 Outstanding Partnership, Project and Collaboration Award for the School Environmental Action Showcase with NoVA Outside
- Prince William Chamber of Commerce Innovative Practice/Partnership of the Year 2017, with her PWC Division of Solid Waste Team