Faculty & Staff Directory
- Director of Graduate Studies
- Computational Science and Informatics PhD
- Computational Science MS
- Data Science Graduate Certificate
PhD, Physics, Boston University (2005)
MA, Physics, Boston University (2001)
Licenciatura (Lic), Fisica (Physics), Universidad del Zulia, Venezuela (1995)
My research focuses on systems that can be approached in an interdisciplinary way with the tools of network science, stochastic processes, statistical physics, and big data. In this broad context, I have a particular interest in flow processes on networks. Another highly related interest is the search for quantitative laws in social, economic, and technological systems.
Currently working with:
- Patterns and laws of human communication, so called social signatures
- Applications of network theory to the interacting firm-workforce system
- Principles of the theory of complex networks
Dr. López teaches courses related to the use of networks as tools for data analysis. He has recently developed CDS 292 for undergraduates learning the use of networks to understand social and many other systems, and an advanced graduate course on random network models and their algorithms.
- R. L. Axtell, O. A. Guerrero, E. López, Frictional unemployment on labor flow networks, 2019. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 160, 184-201
- J. Saramäki, E. A. Leicht, E. López, S. G. B. Roberts, F. Reed-Tsochas, and R. I. M. Dunbar, 2014. Persistence of Social Signatures in Human Communication, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111 (3) pp. 942-947
- D. Cellai, E. López, J. Zhou, J.P. Gleeson, G. Bianconi, 2013. Percolation in multiplex networks with overlap, Physical Review E 88 (5), 052811
- S. Sreenivasan, R. Cohen, E. López, Z. Toroczkai, H.E. Stanley, 2007, Physical Review E 75 (3), 036105.
- E. López, S.V. Buldyrev, S. Havlin, H.E. Stanley, 2005. Anomalous Transport in Scale-free networks, Physical Review Letters, 94 (24), 248701.
- James Martin Fellow in Complexity, University of Oxford
- First ever awarded Summa Cum Laude in Physics, Universidad del Zulia, Venezuela