Faculty & Staff Directory
- Professor of Chemistry
- Senior Fellow, Potomac Environmental Research and Education Center
PhD, Environmental Chemistry, UC Davis (1985)
MS, Marine Science, Moss Landing Marine Laboratory (1981)
BS, Biological Sciences, UC Davis (1978)
Research (60%) and Teaching (40%) duties.
My research is in the source, reactions and transport of organic substances (humic substances, marine toxins and micropollutants) in the aquatic environment.
Pharmaceuticals in Wastewater Discharge in the Potomac River Sediment-Water Fluxes of Pharmaceuticals in the Tidal Freshwater Potomac River Development of Passive Sampling for Per-&Poly-fluoroalkylsubstances (PFAS) in Water Bisphenol A and Other Endocrine Disruptors in the Anacostia River (Washington, DC) Environmental Mass Spectrometry of Micropollutants in the Tidal Freshwater Potomac River
- Development of passive sampling methodologies for equilibrium sampling of PFAS compounds in surface and groundwater. Co-PI SERDP-DoD ($79,438)
- Next-generation effects-based monitoring of contaminants in the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers, Co-PI US Department of the Interior. ($10,000)
- Combined Sewer Overflow Monitoring in Alexandria, Virginia, PI-Alexandria Renewal Enterprises. ($164,429)
- Survey of Micropollutants in Fluvial Sediments and Water from Hunting Creek and the Freshwater Tidal Potomac River for 2020-2022. PI-Alexandria Renewal Enterprises. ($92,054)
I teach chemistry courses.
- Chem 211/212 General Chemistry
- Chem 427/627 Aquatic Environmental Chemistry
- Chem 651 Environmental Chemistry of Organic Substances
Foster GD, Leahigh A. (2021) Sediment-Water Distribution and Benthic Boundary Layer Fluxes of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products Near Wastewater Discharge into a Tidal River Shoal. ACS ES&T Water 1, 1447. DOI: 10.1021/acsestwater.1c00028
Ajjan C, Hussam A, Foster G. (2020) The Binding of Ciprofloxacin with Perfluorooctanesulfonic Acid (PFOS): Fluorescence and PH Studies. In Contaminants in Our Water: Identification and Remediation Methods; ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society. 1352, 143. DOI:10.1021/bk-2020-1352.ch008 10.1021/bk-2020-1352.ch008
Foster GD, Walls C, McEachern PR, Huff TB, McBride R. (2019) Sedimentary profiles of pollution marker chemicals along a large tributary of Cheapeake Bay (mid-Atlantic, USA). J Soils Sediments. 19, 1551. DOI: 10.1007/s11368-018-2157-2
Barboza LG, João F, Booth AM, Vieira LR, Masura J, Baker J, Foster G, Guilhermino L (2018) Marine Pollution by Microplastics: Environmental Contamination, Biological Effects, and Research Challenges, In Charles Sheppard (Ed.) World Seas: An Environmental Evaluation, 2nd Edition, Volume III: Ecological Issues and Environmental Impacts, Elsevier Publishers (DOI. 10.1016/B978-0-12-805052-1.00020-6)
Arya G, Tadayon S, Sadighian J, Jones J, de Mutsert K, Huff TB, Foster GD. (2017) Pharmaceutical chemicals, steroids and xenoestrogens in water, sediments and fish from the tidal freshwater Potomac River (Virginia, USA). J Environ Sci Health A 52, 686.
OSCAR Mentoring Excellence Award (2019)
Teacher of Distinction (2017)
Tracking opioids in the environment
As opioid use continues to proliferate, the drugs enter more people's bodies, where they break down into metabolites often other opioids that end up in wastewater. Scientists have detected opioids downstream of wastewater treatment plants and are concerned about the potent drugs possible effects on organisms who live in those waters.