Faculty & Staff Directory
R. Christian Jones
- Director, Potomac Environmental Research and Education Center (PEREC)
- Freshwater Ecology, Biological Health, Ecological Assessment
- Ph.D, Botany, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1980)
- M.S., Biology, Vanderbilt University (1977)
- B.A., Biology, Rice University (1973)
Current research includes long-term ecological studies of Gunston Cove and Hunting Creek on the tidal Potomac River. Specific foci include continuous monitoring of water quality and benthic algal productivity, especially cyanobacteria.
Currently working with:
- Kim De Mutsert
- Amy Fowler
- Greg Foster
- Benoit Van Aken
- EVPP 550: Waterscape Ecology and Management
- EVPP 301: Environmental Science: Biological Diversity and Ecosystems
- Jones, R. C. (2020). Recovery of a Tidal Freshwater Embayment from Eutrophication: a Multidecadal Study. Estuaries and Coasts (2020) 43:1318–1334. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12237-020-00730-3
- Graziano, A.P. and R.C. Jones. 2017. Diel and seasonal patterns in continuously monitored water quality at fixed sites in two adjacent embayments of the tidal freshwater Potomac River. Water 9 (8): 624. Open access. https://doi.org/10.3390/w9080624. Published on line: August 21, 2017.
- DeMutsert, K., A. Sills, C.J.C. Schlick, and R.C. Jones. 2017. Successes of restoration and its effects on the fish community in a freshwater tidal embayment of the Potomac River, USA. Water 9(6): 421. doi: 10.3390/w9060421.
- Jones, R.C. and A.P. Graziano. 2013. Diel and seasonal patterns in water quality continuously monitored at a fixed site on the tidal freshwater Potomac River. Inland Waters 3: 421-436.
- Jack Wood Legacy Award for Town-Gown Relations
- Atlantic Estuarine Research Society, Venerable Clam Award