Faculty & Staff Directory
- Associate Professor
- Environmental Governance, Sustainability, Climate and Renewable Energy Policy
PhD, George Mason University
MS, Seoul National University
Dr. Younsung Kim's research lies in collaborative governance and self-regulatory policy tools designed to address today’s complex environmental and sustainability challenges. Focusing on the private sector’s role in environmental governance, she has investigated such topics as whether Environmental Management Systems (EMSs) are effective, why some companies are more receptive to regulatory environmental policy, and which type of firms would be most likely to form cross-sector partnerships for sustainability solutions. Her recent research interests cover sustainable packages and waste management and recycling policy.
In 2016, her co-authored research article “Business as a Collaborative Partner: Understanding Firms’ Sociopolitical Support for Policy Formation” received the Best Article Award from the Public and Nonprofit Management Division of the Academy of Management.
Prior to her career in academia, Dr. Kim worked for the Ministry of Environment in South Korea as Deputy Director of the Public Information Office and also served on the World Bank’s Carbon Finance Assist Team. Recently, she served as an external reviewer of the US EPA’s Pathfinder Innovation Projects, as well as the Korean Institute of Public Finance’s the Korean Particulate Pollution Control Policy Analysis.
- Environmental Management Systems and Voluntary Governance
- Collaborative Environmental Governance
- Climate and Renewable Energy Policy
- Public and Private Partnerships for Sustainability
- Sustainable Innovation and Packages
- Education for Sustainability
- EVPP 337 Environmental Policymaking in Developing Countries (coordinator)
- EVPP 361 Introduction to Environmental Policy
- EVPP 362 Intermediate Environmental Policy
- EVPP 638 Corporate Environmental Management and Policy
- EVPP 642 Environmental Policy
Kim, Younsung, and Daniel Ruedy, 2019. Mushroom Packages: An Ecovative Design Approach in Packaging Industry. In Handbook of Engaged Sustainability, Edited by Satinder Dhiman and Joan Marques, Spring Nature Publishing.
Kim, Younsung., and Kyoo-Won Oh, 2018. Public and Private Partnerships for Enhanced Energy Access in Developing Countries: A Case of the Solar Rooftop Project in Gujarat, India. In: Handbook on PPPs in Developing and Emerging Economies, Edited by João Leitão, Elsa Morais Sarmento and João Aleluia, Emerald Group Publishing
Kim, Younsung. 2018. Korea Firms’ Sustainability Practices and Their Role in the Green Economy. On Korea, Vol 11: 115-131. Washington D.C.: Korea Economic Institute of America.
Kim, Younsung and Nicole Darnall. 2016. Business-government collaboration may help solve complex social issues. LSE Business Review.
Kim, Younsung, and Nicole Darnall. 2016, Business as a Collaborative Partner: Understanding Firms’ Sociopolitical Support for Policy Formation. Public Administration Review, 76(2):326-337.
Darnall, Nicole, and Younsung Kim. 2012. Which Types of EMSs are Associated with Greater Environmental Improvements? Public Administration Review, 72(3):351-365.
- Nominee, Online Teaching Excellence Award, George Mason University, Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning, 2019
- Teaching Excellence Award, George Mason University, Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning, 2018
- Mason Career Connection Award, University Career Services, 2018
- Best Journal Article Award, Profit and Nonprofit Management Division, Academy of Management, 2016
- Best Dissertation Award, George Mason University, Department of Environmental Science and Policy, 2010