VALHEN Hispanic STEM Academy
Jul 26, 2023, 8:30 AM - Jul 28, 2023, 5:00 PM
George Mason University Fairfax Campus
George Mason University is partnering with the Virginia Latino Higher Education Network (VALHEN) to proudly offer the VALHEN Hispanic STEM Academy for rising Virginia high school sophomores and juniors from Hispanic/Latinx and other underserved communities. This exciting new program will offer participants a series of interactive and hands-on sessions across a wide range of STEM disciplines, with tours of Mason’s cutting-edge labs and facilities. This year’s theme is Global Sustainability, which participants will explore while developing effective research and science communication skills.
Participants in this program will:
- Attend university lectures and complete hands-on STEM challenges across science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines, facilitated by George Mason University Science faculty.
- Collaborate with VHSA Guides and fellow students on group research projects addressing real-world scientific problems such as hunger, access to clean water, pollution, and climate change.
- Explore STEM postsecondary and career pathways.
- Explore basic research methods, creative problem-solving and project design.
- Connect with STEM faculty and professionals, and VHSA peer guides.
- Build STEM sector academic and professional competencies.
- Connect with students from around Virginia who are also passionate about STEM.
The 2023 VHSA program will take place July 26 through July 28 on George Mason University’s Fairfax Campus. As slots are limited, you must apply to participate. The program is free for selected students. Participants will stay overnight on campus for two nights (double occupancy in a traditional dormitory setting with a shared bathroom). Bed linens and all meals will be provided for the duration of the program. Transportation is currently not available – selected students should plan to be dropped off/picked up from VHSA.
Applications are open through May 1, 2023. Apply today to the VHSA program.
Questions? Please contact KerinHilker-Balkissoon at email@example.com.