Onboarding & Offboarding
The Human Resources & Payroll office helps faculty and staff become members of Mason Nation by providing the information needed to get started. HR will help faculty to:
- Enroll in health and retirement plans.
- Sign up for direct deposit.
- Get guidance on transportation (Metro, shuttles, buses, parking).
- Explore options for child care.
The New Employee Welcome (NEW) Center is a one-stop shop where faculty and staff can get their ID card, their Mason log-in credentials, and a temporary parking pass.
Keep track of important university policies and training requirements. Everyone is required to complete specific sessions within their first 90 days of employment at Mason. FERPA training is also required for faculty.
Promoting health and happiness is important to Mason. HR offer resources and opportunities to faculty and staff to enhance their work and personal lives.
New Temporary Process for Onboarding and Completing the I-9 Form
Now that Mason is encouraging all eligible faculty and staff to telework and the HR & Payroll office is fully teleworking, the university has implemented a new temporary process for onboarding and completing Section 2 of the I-9 Form.
For Non-Benefited New Hires:
- As normal, packet creators in each department or unit will continue to create a MasonOnboard packet for any new hires.
- Debbie Gupta in HR & Payroll will reach out to the new hires and ask that they submit a photocopy of their Section 2 documents via Dynamic Forms.
- When normal in-person operations resume, HR & Payroll will notify the new hire when they come to the office in-person to complete their I-9 Form with their identifying documents.
- The new hire will complete their background check as they normally would.
For Benefited New Hires:
- Benfited new hires will be onboarded by HR & Payroll as normal.
- The new hires will be required to complete the onboarding packet and Section 2 of the I-9 Form through Dynamic forms.
- Orientations for classified staff and administrative/professional faculty are being conducted virtually on their scheduled dates. The Organizational Development and Learning and Benefits teams are reaching out to new hires and their departmental contacts in advance of these virtual orientations to provide training materials and login information.
If you have any questions regarding the onboarding process, please reach out to Debbie Gupta at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Employee Checklist
The College of Science requires departments to complete a checklist for all new hires.
Other Mason Resources
Is a faculty member in your department planning to move out of the area or accept a job with another organization? If so, they must follow this detailed checklist to ensure a smooth transition and to provide for the continuation of any benefits. If they are retiring from the university, they need to schedule an appointment with their Benefits Administrator as soon as possible.