Renewal, Promotion & Tenure
The promotion and tenure process is one of the most important tasks that faculty undertake in an institution of higher education, and follows the principles in sections 2.4 through 2.7 of the Faculty Handbook. Over the last two years, the Provost Office and Colleges have collaborated to make the guidelines for renewal, promotion, and tenure accessible online in a detailed format.
In each Department, the Chairs are responsible for:
- Managing the reviews within the department;
- Making their own recommendations;
- Maintaining full dossiers on each candidate; and
- Ensuring complete materials are electronically submitted to the Provost and President for further review.
Interfolio’s Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) System
In support of the promotion and tenure process, Mason has invested in Interfolio’s Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) content management system. The Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) tool automates existing workflows and processes for faculty renewal, promotion and tenure into a unified content management system. This will streamline the RPT experience for candidates and reviewers at all levels within one secure and configurable system.
Starting with the 2020-2021 review cycle, we will be migrating to this online RPT content management system. While the method of submitting the Required Promotion and/or Tenure (P&T) Dossier Template (Attachment #1 format revised) and the Procedural Checklist for Promotion and/or Tenure Candidates has changed, all promotion and/or tenure content requirements remain the same.
Each of the Schools/Colleges have had a representative on the RPT Implementation Team, and the team has met weekly over the academic year to build and test the system for your faculty. The automated system has afforded us the opportunity to take a closer look at timelines. You will see that the date for notification to the Office of the Provost has been moved to the end of spring semester. This happens automatically in the system once a case is created, so that candidates can start to build their case materials over the summer.
Below are the deadlines for submission of information to the Office of the Provost.
- By May 22, 2020: All cases for promotion and tenure should be created, by the Dean’s office, in the Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) content management system. Please coordinate with your Dean’s office to submit your list of cases in a timely manner.
- February 11, 2021: A complete dossier for each of your candidates should be completed electronically via the Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) content management system.
- May 2021: Board of Visitors will meet and act on Promotion and/or Tenure recommendations.
AY 2020-2021 Schedule Coming soon!
In accordance with section 2. 7 .2 of the Faculty Handbook, Tenure-Track Faculty will be evaluated for renewal during the third year of their initial, three-year appointment.