Section Navigation: Information Technology
Recommended Computer Specifications for General Use
All students should consider the purchase of their own laptop computer to aid them in their coursework. Although all software needed is provided in computer labs on campus, it is often more convenient for students to work on their own computers and not schedule work when labs are open and/or seats available to complete assignments. A webcam and microphone are essential for communication when attending class virtually.
|i5-3xxx or later
|i7-10xxx or later
|8 GB (see notes below)
|256 GB SSD
|512 GB M.2
Warranty: We highly recommend a damage protection warranty as the most common repairs with student computers are broken screens and liquid spills which are not covered by a standard manufacturer's warranty.
Apple purchasers please review
- If you are planning on purchasing an M1 Processor, be aware not all software is compatible. Is it Silicon Ready?
- Only ARM-based Windows applications can run in virtual environments on the new M1 processor. If you expect to run any Windows-based software you should consider purchasing a PC instead (GGS and CDS majors specifically).
- The RAM and/or hard drives on many computers cannot be upgraded after purchase so please take this into consideration also (Apple and Microsoft products specifically)
- Patriot Tech in Johnson Center stocks many computer models that meet our specifications
- Apple Education Discount - Intel Processor only for compatibility with all software including Microsoft products
- Dell Education Discount