STARS (Student Teachers and Research Assistants) is a peer-mentoring program unique to the Computational and Data Science (CDS) department. Students accepted to the program are undergraduate teaching assistants who have excelled in CDS minor courses such as CDS 101, CDS 130 or CDS 230 and now share their knowledge and experience to help other students. STARS members attend classes to assist with hands-on work and they also help students via online channels during scheduled office hours.
The STARS receive special training from CDS faculty and from other more experienced STARS students. Their skills levels are exceeded only by their passion for helping their fellow CDS students succeed and helping to create new CDS STARS!
Here are some quotes from students who benefited from this invaluable resource:
- “Working with STARS was like working with classmates, except they helped a lot and answered all my questions, even if they were really stupid ones.”
- “Having the STAR student help with this course was awesome and made this one of my best classes!”
- “The STAR student always helped me and tried to make sure I understood everything, which was very helpful”.
- “Having a STAR in class was the most helpful thing ever!”
Apply to be a CDS STAR
STARS are valuable members of the CDS instructional force, helping students in core undergraduate courses (CDS 130, CDS 101, CDS 102, CDS 201, CDS 230, CDS 251 & CDS 292) fulfill their potential and succeed in their studies.
The department of Computational & Data Sciences (CDS) is seeking applications for CDS STARS (Student Teachers and Research Assistants) for the Spring 2022 academic semester (Jan. 10-May. 24). STARS are valuable members of the CDS instructional force, helping students in core undergraduate courses (CDS 130, CDS 101, CDS 102, CDS 201, CDS 230, CDS 251 & CDS 292) fulfill their potential and succeed in their studies. The requisites for applying for the position are:
1. Completed one of the courses listed above with a grade of A (or above)
2. Current minimum GPA of 3.5 (cumulative to date)
3. No honor code infractions
4. An affinity for fellow students!
If interested, please fill in the application and submit to email@example.com
Fall 2021 STARS Office Hours
Starting September 1, 2021, and through the entire Fall 2021 semester, all CDS sections with STARS (and teaching assistants) will offer an open office hour to their students. The details can be found here.