Section Navigation: K-12 STEM Programs
Section Navigation: VALHEN Hispanic STEM Academy
Summer 2024 VALHEN Hispanic STEM Academy application now open through March 8
George Mason University is excited to partner again with the Virginia Latino Higher Education Network (VALHEN) to offer the VALHEN Hispanic STEM Academy. This unique experience offers participants a series of interactive and hands-on sessions across a wide range of STEM disciplines, held in Mason’s cutting-edge labs and facilities. VHSA is open to all rising Virginia high school sophomores and juniors, and was designed to meet the unique needs of Hispanic/Latine and other underserved communities.
When: July 24 through July 26, 2024
Where: George Mason University's Fairfax Campus
The 2024 VHSA theme is Sustainable Development. Participants will design solutions to complex, global challenges, developing their research, problem-solving, and science communication skills.
Participants in this program will:
- Attend university lectures and complete hands-on STEM challenges across science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines, facilitated by George Mason University faculty.
- Collaborate with VHSA Guides and fellow students on group research projects addressing real-world global challenges such as hunger, access to clean water, pollution, and climate change.
- Explore 21st Century STEM postsecondary and career pathways.
- Connect with STEM faculty and professionals, and VHSA peer guides.
- Connect with students from across Virginia who are equally passionate about STEM and sustainability.
The program is free for selected students. Participants reside overnight on campus for two nights (double occupancy in a traditional dormitory setting with a shared bathroom). Bed linens and meals are provided for the duration of the program. Transportation is not available - selected students must provide transportation to/from VHSA.
Questions? Please contact Kerin Hilker-Balkissoon at firstname.lastname@example.org.