It is best to submit the online application as early as possible and well before the published deadlines. All documents may be uploaded directly online. A faculty committee begins reviewing completed applications in late January for the PhD programs and late March through April for the Master’s programs for fall admission. Additionally, decisions for spring admission to all programs are given by early December.
- Graduate Online Application: available on the Admissions website with a fee.
- Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates: can be found in the online graduate application noted above.
- Transcripts from all colleges, universities, and professional institutions you have attended: see the Admissions website for details.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation: preferably from faculty members, lab supervisor or those who can evaluate your academic/research potential. Admission portal will email individuals requesting submission of recommendation letter.
- Current Resume or CV
- Goals Statement: (750 – 1,000 words). Specifically:
- For Master’s and Doctoral Students: Please include your personal qualities and development and how they have influenced your career choice; your reasons for considering this particular degree program in relation to your academic background, professional work experience, and career goals; and your reason for selecting your program at George Mason University. Please include at least two names of department faculty you would like to work with, in your areas of research interest.
- Doctoral Applicants Only: Include in the goals statement above in which fields you expect to do doctoral study and research; how these interests have been influenced by your prior education, research, or work experience; why you are considering a career in an academic, or research setting; and any information relevant for evaluating your motivation to study and conduct research at the doctoral level.
- GRE score is no longer required. GRE submission is available for candidates who would like to have the information reviewed for admission consideration.
- Students with international degrees are required to submit English Proficiency assessment. Visit Admission Requirements for International Students for specific details.
All documents should be uploaded to the online application.
George Mason University
Office of Graduate Admissions
MS 4C8, 4400 University Drive
Fairfax VA 22030-4444
Website: Graduate Admissions
Phone: (703) 993-9700, Fax (703) 993-2392
Office Location: 245 Johnson Center, Fairfax campus