Aspiring Scientists Summer Internship Program (ASSIP)
ASSIP Applications for the summer 2022 session will open in late November, 2021
Please check back for updates on ASSIP 2022.
To apply, use the "Apply!" button below.
Questions? Use the FAQs button below.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students work one-on-one with faculty researchers at George Mason University and collaborating institutions using state-of-the-art technology to solve hypothesis driven questions which may include areas of Biochemistry, Biodefense, Bioengineering, Bioinformatics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Earth Science, Climate and Ocean Sciences, Environmental Science, Genomics, GeoInformation Science (GIS), Mathematical Modeling, Medicine, Nanotechnology, Neuroscience, Serious Game Design, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Sciences, Astronomy, Physics, and Proteomics.
As part of the 8 week full-time training, students:
- Gain hands-on experience using cutting-edge sophisticated equipment and technologies,
- Develop and exercise scientific writing and communication skills
- Explore STEM career choices through discussion forums and meetings with role models
- Develop and exercise creative skills, crucial to performing innovative research
Hard work may pay off with participants' names published in scientific journals and their work presented at scientific conferences.
- 2020 ASSIP mentor Padhu Seshaiyer and 2 of his ASSIP interns recently published their summer research in: Comput. Math. Biophys. 2020; 8:216–232 by Comfort Ohajunwa, Kirthi Kumar, and Padmanabhan Seshaiyer* Mathematical modeling, analysis, and simulation of the COVID-19 pandemic with explicit and implicit behavioral changes
- 2020 ASSIP mentors Hamdi Kavak and Andreas Zufle, 3 of their ASSIP interns , John Pesavento, Andy Chen and Rayan Yu, and Mason colleagues Joon-Sook Kim and Taylor Anderson recently published their research on "Data-Driven Mobility Models for COVID-19 Simulation".
To provide research opportunities for as many students as possible, we do not pay ASSIP interns or mentors. However, there is no charge required for students to participate in the Aspiring Scientists Summer Internship Program. A $25 application fee is required (which may be waived based on financial need). See details on the application page to obtain the waiver, if needed, before you apply. Use the APPLY button below for the application.
Learn about ASSIP
"My experience at ASSIP for the last two summers was probably the most beneficial and impactful experience I have had in my life so far. It taught me how to be a better scientist and engineer, how to develop new ideas, and how to make those ideas a reality. I accomplished a lot that I never thought I was capable of doing as a high school student such as filing for three patents and inventing new technologies to be used by companies to help others. The ability to see that my work has the capability of helping others and that I can make a difference, even as a high school student, has given me the confidence I need to continue innovating."